Thursday, October 1, 2009

Catch up - Dry Wall Part I

I wanted to start this as a journal at the start of the project but I'm a little late.

I was surprised that the process of sticking drywall between joints takes an enormous amount of time. For each section, there is measuring, cutting, placing (with the help of wood braces I made), tacking (with little 4d nails), caulking, and (usually) re-caulking any missed spots. There are 3 or 4 pieces of drywall per layer, and there are 2 layers. After all this, wood slats are added to permanently support the drywall using strips (I bought ages ago to use to hold acoustic foam) with brad nails. This step is wonderfully short though. All told I think it takes about 6-8 hours to finish one section, 20-30% of which is cursing. Some sections have been very hard because the space between the joists in not uniform. The average is about 14.5 inches, but some sections are as small as 14 inches, some as big as 15.25. Hell must be pretty terrible if there is a place for drywallers to suffer, I think its the pits. I framed one of the walls in an afternoon, which was a great feeling of accomplishment compared to the drudgery of the ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment